The Word became flesh and dwelled among us . . . and the unfolding of His Words is Light.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

When God Interrupts Life: A Story


As the sun’s warm rays danced across the rooftops, I drove my cooped-up boys to the sand volleyball court down the street. They brought along Tonka trucks and Star War guys, and as the sun’s rays danced low, three boys hollered loud and threw off flip flops, digging naked toes in cold, wet sand.


As my boys laughed and dug into sand, that’s when I saw Little Boy and his Mama. Little Boy was digging, spraying sand all over red-headed Mama, and Mama was saying, “Stop. No. Please, don’t dig like that. You’re getting sand everywhere!!”


As gritty sand flew, Mama looked up at me and then down at my baby-belly, saying, “Is that your fourth boy?”


I laughed: “No! It’s a girl.” And Mama smiled, leaning towards me across warm sand, and I could see words in her green eyes, but I just wanted to read the book in my purse, the one I’d been waiting all school-long-day to read, so I looked past Mama and walked straight-as-an-arrow to the empty picnic table on the other side of the court.


I plopped on warm, red wood, pulling book out of my purse, and that’s when I noticed red-haired Mama walking away from her sand-spraying boy and towards my momentary haven on the red bench, and as Mama’s question flew over open sand: “Trying to catch up on some reading?,” I silent-groaned—this Mama’s got a lot of words to spill!

And skipping right over “My name is _____, what’s yours?” red-haired-Mama gushed:


“You know, I have so much trouble with my son, and just a little bit ago, I called my mom asking for her advice, and she told me I had no backbone and just didn’t know what I was doing and, she’s so critical, you know? And I know I’m insecure and I don’t know what I’m doing, but, you know, why did she have to be so critical? ”


And I said, “Yeah, parenting is so hard, and yes, I know about the criticism thing.”

Then—to my selfish delight—on the other side of the court, Little Boy threw sand and red-haired Mama trotted back across the court yelling, “I told you no throwing sand! If you do that again, we’re leaving.”


As Mama scolded sand-throwing Boy, I picked up my book, looking for my end-of-day-haven in beautiful words.

But before I could read a word, a years-old memory flashed across my conscious:  I saw the anguished face of a co-worker as she bared her soul to me, and I, I was too Selfish-busy to pause and listen to soul-bearing co-worker. The memory cut deep, and I saw my Selfish heart replaying in the Now, so I put down my book and heaved up and across the sand to where red-haired Mama knelt beside sand-throwing-Boy.


As sand from Little-Boy’s wild hands flew into my eyes, I laughed, saying, “Boys have so much energy!”


At this invitation, Mama’s words tumbled out, “I’m feeling so depressed. I feel depressed a lot. Sometimes I feel like committing suicide, and I go to counseling, and I don’t know what to do with my son, I mean, I went to a play group today and this other mom. . . .”


I listened as Mama spilled her story about how another mom in her Jehovah’s Witness group called her son a “brat.” Then as one sorrow led to another, Mama shared about her imploding marriage, her hopelessness, her fear, and how the JW elders couldn’t seem to help at all.  I saw the pain in her taut body, her averted eyes, her rushing words.


As Mama spilled sorrow upon sorrow I wondered: What do I say? How do I speak Hope, live Jesus in this moment?


And as Mama’s words surged around me, I felt Fear creep: You aren’t very good at this share-Jesus-to-a-stranger thing. Better just to listen and empathize and leave it at that. After all, you might botch the truth-telling . . . .


Then Little Boy threw more sand at our eyes, and Mama said, “I mean it this time! If you throw it again, we’re leaving!” And Little Boy threw sand again, and ran across the court, away from Mama’s grasping hands, so Mama yelled, “We’re going, for real this time. I mean it!”


As red-haired Mama leaned down to pick up shovels and buckets, I felt Holy-Spirit pressure loose my lips:


“What’s your name?  . . . Is it ok if I pray for you?”


And Julie’s green eyes looked into mine saying, “You can pray, but I can’t pray with you.”


I closed my eyes and prayed for Julie-the-red-haired-Mama. I prayed that Jesus would meet her in her struggle as He’d met me in mine. I prayed she’d know his love, His presence. I prayed she’d know the Jesus-who-Died-on-the-Cross for her.

Then I hugged Julie, and she half-hugged me and picked up Little Boy, and drove away.


That’s when Micah, who’d been playing in the sand next to Mama Julie and me, started asking questions: “Mom, did she believe in God? Why did she say you could pray for her, but she couldn’t pray with you?”


I knelt down in wet sand next to almost eight-year-old Micah, and as we built a sand castle together, we talked about Julie and Little Boy and how we all need Jesus to heal the pain of the past and the present. We talked about Truth and Hope and how we can love others by Living Jesus.  And when the castle was built and his questions mostly answered, Micah looked up at me saying,


“Write it down, Mom. Write it all down so you can treasure it in your heart—what happened here tonight.”


Write it down so I can treasure it in my heart . . . .

So, I am writing this story to treasure what God did with a Selfish-sinful woman who wanted to read her book rather than reach out.  I’m writing to treasure what God is doing in the heart of a woman named Julie.


And I’m writing to remind myself that every day, every moment, is an opportunity to Treasure the Only One who gives Life and Hope.